Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Thursday 9 October 2014

Popcorn Flower Hexagon: Pattern

Over the past few weeks I have finished a number of projects (small and large), resulting in a basket full of scrap yarn (story of my life!). 

popcorn flower hexagon

I prefer working with a Hexagon motif when I am using scraps - they just seem to lend themselves to a random mishmash of colour.     When I make squares my brain insists on there being a pattern or some kind of order!

I started out making a few popcorn flowers:



and then making them into Hexagons, joining as I went:


popcorn flower hexagon


POPCORN FLOWER HEXAGON PATTERN

PATTERN TERMS:    US

HOOK:    5.00MM

YARN:   An assortment of DK Acrylic yarn

Foundation:   4ch, sl st to join OR make a magic ring;

Row 1:  3 ch (counts as 1 dc):  11 dc into circle (12 dc); sl st into top of 3ch to join;

Row 2:  3ch (counts as 1dc), 1dc into top of  same dc;  [2dc into top of next dc (2dc group)] x11;  sl st into top of 3ch to join = 24dc

Row 3:  Join yarn in any space between a 2dc group;   3ch (counts as 1dc), 4dc into same space as join; form popcorn, 2ch;  (popcorn stitch into space between next 2dc group, 2ch) x 11;   sl st into top of first popcorn to join

NOTE:   A Popcorn Stitch is formed by crocheting 5dc then removing the hook from the last loop, inserting the hook front to back on the first dc, and again into last loop, yoh and pull through.  

If you need a bit of help with the popcorn stitch you can find a photo tutorial HERE 

Row 4:   Join yarn in any 2ch space between popcorns,  6ch (counts as 1dc, 3ch), 2dc into same space;  [2dc into next space;   (2dc, 3ch, 2dc = corner into next space)] x5;  2dc into next space;  1dc into start space;  sl st into 3rd chain to close.

Row 5:   Sl st into 3ch space;   3ch (counts as 1dc), 1dc, 3ch, 2dc into same space;    [(2dc into next space) x2;   (2dc, 3ch, 2dc = corner into next space)] x5;  (2dc into next space) x2;  sl st into top of 3ch at start to close.

I used the join-as-you-go method to join my motifs (you can use whatever method you prefer).   

You can find a tutorial for the join-as-you-go HERE 

popcorn flower hexagon

Another thing I like about making a hexagon scrapghan is that I can fold it away, and add on as and when I have a few scraps.     

When it is big enough I just add a border and I have a colourful surprise made up of bits and pieces of other projects finished over a couple of weeks!

7 comments:

  1. they are just wonderful!!!!!
    thank you, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I have so many scraps to use too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a colourful beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I was just pondering what to do with my overload of scrap yarn. Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ! thanks a lot for sharing the pattern ! have fun and a nice day ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such lovely crochet and each one I add to my one day list. Thanks for all the input you put into the online community. I think you do a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty. I love it!

    ReplyDelete