Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Wednesday 27 November 2013

Flower Granny Scarves

I made a purple pansy Flower Granny Stripe Scarf:


 granny stripes

and a Strawberries 'n Cream Flower Granny Stripe Scarf:


granny stripe

and aqua & peach flower granny stripe scarves:


granny stripes

...... while trying NOT to fidget in front of the screen.

I fidget.      I am a fidgeter!   In fact my fidgeting is legendary (the reason my gran taught me to crochet in the first place)!

Before we settle down to watch movies or series I get a lecture from the rest of the family  "have you made yourself a pot of tea?  Do you have your box of tissues?  (sad movies ALWAYS make me cry!), do you have everything else you are going to need right next to your lazy boy?   Oh and PLEASE mom can you actually watch the movie this time!?"

Tricky! Tricky!

How on earth do you decide in ADVANCE what you are going to do for the next ninety minutes while sitting still on your butt and actually watching the movie.

I  made a whole bag full of long granny strips over the past few weeks while WATCHING movies with the family.

I thought I might join them together to make a blanket - but they are a rather odd collection of colours and lengths.

I love adding flowers to just about everything - so I set about turning my granny strips into lovely flower scarves:



granny stripes

Pink and cerise - 14 rows of each colour.      With a join as you go granny at each end.


granny stripes

For the side borders:    a row of peach, two rows of cream, and then 1 row of hdc in pink and cerise.     Finished off with some twisty tassles (with a hint of lime green thrown in for a bit of zing!!


granny stripes

Add a cream pansy, a cerise 6 petal flower and a peach 6 petal flower (my patterns), and some lime green leaves.


granny stripes

Happiness!!!


granny stripes

White granny strip.  For the side borders crochet a row of granny clusters in each of aqua, turquoise, crocus (lilac).  Added two join as you go grannies at each end - one in crocus and purple;   one in aqua and turquoise.


granny stripes

To finish a row of shells on each side in Purple


granny stripes

a few flowers in turqoise and purple, and some lovely long floaty tassels in a mixture of all the colours!


granny stripes

Made the peach granny strip into a cowl (had to unpick a row and then join as you go to the other end).   Edged with a simple picot shell in aqua.     I made a flower brooch - so it can be worn with or without the flowers!

Love Love Love all those pretty colours:


granny stripe scarf

To finish my VERY long (very boring post) some more flowery loveliness:


summer flowers

A mixed arrangement picked from my garden;   some of my stunning geraniums;     and a few late bloomers spotted in a remote corner of the garden (there are some pink ones too that have not opened yet!)


Wishing you all a wonderfully colourful day!!

15 comments:

  1. Please DO leave a comment - I value your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarf .. I am fond of adding flowers here and there as well. Your garden flowers are beautiful, aren't geraniums the most giving of flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pat - Geraniums certainly are generous - they don't require much care and just keep on providing you with an abundance of colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a colourful crocheter : I like that!!!!!!
    Your pink/cream scarf is my favourite!!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. Die Schals sind alle wunderschön. Ich mag es, wie du die Farben der Blumen mit den Schals kombiniert hast. Klasse!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these! I'm wondering whether to make something similar and use it as a border around a plain rectangular blanket .... hmmmm ... ideas, ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, that comment was made with my son's account ... He will not be pleased to think that folks thinks he reads crochet sites ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just beautiful! Grannies aren't usually one of my favorites, but these are just great, and I see myself making something similar to these in the not too distant future! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. New to your site. Lovely work and colors. Also new to crochet and I would love to make the Granny Square scarf. Do you have a pattern that you would share or direct me to one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa - I plan to make a few more and then I will do a proper pattern!

      Delete
  10. What wonderful, colourful, happy ideas you post!! These are grand and I will be doing some as soon as I finish my Christmas Afghan project!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all your work, it is so pretty. I've made a road trip scarf and need to do the braids, I am in the middle of a granny scarf. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!!! You are so very talented woman!!! Please IM me when the pattern is ready! I love Granny patterns!

    ReplyDelete